Vector shapes, implications for design, Adobe Illustrator, resolution free, tools, layers, compatibility. Filters, advanced tools. Notions of basic design, corporate image. Typography, Fonts, choice of faces. Dealing with printers, pantone colors, universal formats. Inkscape Open Source alternative
Learning Illustrator CS and LYNDA.COM CC + CC
Shapes / Paths / Blob brush #2 / Pen tool #2 / Pathfinder / Shape builder / Swirl / Swirl 2 / 3D Logo / 3D Logo 2 / Clipping mask / Envelope Distort / BLEND tutorial
Bad logo designs
56 worst logos (SMTVA)
Bad logos fixed
Hidden Meaning in Logos / Mustafa Omerli
Spoof Ads www.adbusters.org
Daniel Carlmatz Instagram – Bored Panda
How to design a logo (Adobe Tutorial)
#2 LOGO PROJECT
5 words that represent you
mood board for each word
5×5 hand drawings creating a logo for each word
Choose the one that represents you the most out of the 5 and vectorize it in Illustrator
Make sure your logo is
Simple, Memorable, Timeless, Versatile, Appropriate AND UNIVERSAL
#3 BUSINESS CARDS
Business cards at 3.5″x 2″ and 2″x3.5″, two-sided, that will incorporate your final logo. Do not use your real information to protect your privacy.
Business Card template AI: businesscardHorizontal businesscardVertical
- positive version on front and back of business cards for yourselves
- Negative version on front and back of business cards for yourselves
Turn the logo into a symbol and apply it to at least three different 3D primitives ( cylinder, cone, sphere ) to test how will it adapt to a 3D model
Post all the words, mood boards, research, drawings, vector version, business cards in positive and negative, and 3D models on your blogs. Explain your choices.
Definition of calligram: a design in which the letters of a word (such as a name) are rearranged so as to form a decorative pattern or figure (as for a seal) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calligram
Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918)
1) Write a [300-500 word |1 full page] letter to your future selves 20 years from now
2) Post it on your blogs!
3) Choose an 8.5×11″ letter format document in portrait or landscape mode (whichever suits the original image better)
4) Inspired by your own research on the calligram, calligraphy and typography, create a Self Portrait Calligram, using the words and sentences of your personal letter
5) Use the pen tool to trace the different text areas of your face and hair in Illustrator.
4) Choose very carefully the fonts and colors you will use, and convert the type to outlines (Mac: COMMAND+SHIFT+O / PC: CONTROL+SHIFT+O)
5) File>Export>Save for Web the finished image as a PNG 24 No Transparency with a MINIMUM width or height of 1500px
You will use extensively the following type and envelope distort tools in Illustrator:
Exploring the history of poster design and the examples presented in class, create a poster using your own image transformed with Illustrator’s tracing tools. Limit the amount of colors to 5 selecting the most efficient palette to convey your message.: Analogous, Monochromatic, Triad, Complementary, Compound & Shades color.adobe.com . Make sure to include the selected color palette in your poster.
Johannes Itten’s Color Contrasts:
Saturation, Light and Dark, Extension, Complements, Contrast, Hue, Hue-Primaries, Warm and Cool http://www.worqx.com/color/itten.htm
Bauhaus Color Theorists and Practitioners:
Joseph Albers: http://albersfoundation.org/
Johannes Itten: https://monoskop.org/images/4/46/Itten_Johannes_The_Elements_of_Color.pdf